The Victorian Network of Smokefree Healthcare Services (VNSHS) is a regional network of the international organisation, the Global Network which aims to facilitate action on tobacco within healthcare services globally. VNSHS was established in late 2011 to support the efforts of health services locally and to champion the vital role of health services in tobacco control.
From the four foundation members (Barwon Health, Austin Health, Alfred Health and Peninsula Health), the network has grown to involve 30 healthcare services from across Victoria.
Members represent metropolitan and regional / rural based services, as well as general and specialised services within acute and community settings. Both public and private services are also represented.
Associate members include key local stakeholders such as Quit Victoria and the Tobacco Control Unit of the Department of Health and Human Services.
By becoming a member of the Victorian Network of Smokefree Healthcare Services, you and your organisation will benefit in a number of ways:
- As part of a global movement you can keep abreast of global developments and international best practice
- As part of an active local network here in Victoria you can keep up to date with local initiatives and resources for tobacco control, including those specifically directed at health services
- As part of the network you will have an opportunity to draw on the experience of other members via a range of networking activities
- You will have a unique opportunity to share resources via the member only section of the website
- Your involvement with other health services via the network provides opportunities for collaboration in smoking related activities and service models
- You will have an opportunity to benchmark your performance in relation to the Global Standards
- You are able to participate in the Regional Validation process involving independent validation of your self-audit against the Global Standards.
These benefits of membership are reflected in continued improvements in performance against the Global Standards as experienced by our current members.