Membership to the Victorian Network of Smokefree Healthcare Services is open to all health services in Victoria, including public and private health services. The membership process is one that is established globally to promote and support health service commitment to the goals and ideals of the organisation.
Getting involved is easy – just follow the six steps below. And if you need help, please contact us at the Coordinating Centre.
First of all, establish a multidisciplinary working group (e.g. Smokefree Committee) to support ongoing action with respect to smoking and tobacco control. Alternatively, allocate responsibility for your smokefree initiative to an existing committee.
The next step is to understand and assess your current situation with respect to each of the Global Standards. This provides you with a baseline from which to measure your progress. With input from your Smokefree Committee and others likely to be involved in your smokefree initiative, complete the self-audit questionnaire (Word Version) and provide an indication of what actions you plan to take as a result of this assessment.
Completion of the the Membership application form (Word Version) is the next step.
This includes providing details of your healthcare service and a declaration that your organisation will contribute to, promote and implement the Global Concept and Standards in relation to smoking and tobacco control and share information (including resources) and experiences within the region (Victoria) and the Global Network generally. This application form is signed by the CEO as an indication of this commitment.
The next step is to nominate one or more VNSHS representatives, who will be the main contact(s) for network activities and engagement. This will generally be the person who is responsible for implementation of your smokefree initiative on a day-to-day basis.
Finally, send your application to the Coordinating Centre.
- The Coordinating Centre will confirm receipt of your application
- The Coordination Centre will review your application to ensure:
- it includes a completed Self-Audit and Action Plan
- that your organisation has nominated a group to oversee the smokefree initiative
- that your health service Executive has signed indicating their commitment to the application.
- The Coordinating Centre will undertake an initial review of your Self-Audit and Action Plan and will provide any relevant comments to assist your next steps.
- The Coordinating Centre will make contact with your representative and your Executive to confirm your membership and provide details of how to access the member resources and other services.